You don’t have to be in Kentucky to experience Kentucky Derby excitement. Personally, I plan on throwing a party to celebrate the famous horse race under palm trees in California. Here are my tips for giving your party an authentic Derby Old South spin no matter its location.
- Mandate hat-wearing on your Evite invitation — the Derby is known for its parade of hats.
- Decorate with horse-themed décor, or go for rose décor, a more subtle nod to a race sometimes referred to as the “Run for the Roses.”
- Play bluegrass music in honor of the Bluegrass State.
- Tap a friend to act as bookie and have your friends bet as many times as they like in a winner(s)-takes-all pool.
- Serve a light lunch of Southern specialties: chicken salad sandwiches (chopped up apples and fresh tarragon will give them a fancy spin), cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, deviled eggs and maybe even a hot batch of sausage balls. For something heartier, there’s always the Derby favorite: burgoo stew. And for dessert, opt for Derby pie (essentially pecan pie with bourbon and chocolate chips) or bourbon balls (since I’m evidently obsessed with foods in ball form).
- Stock plenty of bourbon and mint because mint juleps are extremely important.
- Turn on the TV and play that race!