Kick your summer pool party up a notch with these cute and colorful DIY beach-ball paper lanterns.
Time: 30 minutes for each 20″ paper lantern (plus 1 hour drying time)
- An assortment of store-bought paper lanterns — we used 10 lanterns that were 20″ each and 4 lanterns that were 6″ each
- 16-ounce bottle of yellow acrylic paint
- 16-ounce bottle of orange acrylic paint
- 16-ounce bottle of green acrylic paint
- 16-ounce bottle of blue acrylic paint
- 16-ounce bottle of red acrylic paint
- 5 foam brushes
- Drop cloth
- Fishing line
Step 1: Build paper lanterns following the instructions on the packaging.
Step 2: Lay out your drop cloth on a flat surface to prevent spills, then paint stripes in your desired colors on every other strip of the paper lantern.
Tip: Use the folds on the paper lantern as a guideline.
Step 3: After you have painted all the stripes, tie a string of twine to two opposing mounts (we used the hinges of opposite doors), and hang your lantern to dry.
Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 on each of your remaining paper lanterns. After all of your lanterns are complete and have dried for at least one hour, you can string them up. Double a cord of fishing line, tie off at one end, string your lanterns and tie off at the other end.