Makes enough for 2 slabs of ribs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed, or turbinado sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Combine all the ingredients in a jar with a lid or in an airtight container. Shake thoroughly to combine.
Generously sprinkle over meat or chicken and rub in to create a nice coating. Refrigerate and allow the rub to set for at least an hour before cooking.
You can change the rub to suit your taste by changing out the seasoning. Try replacing the allspice with Old Bay, or the cumin for ground thyme.