Slow-cooked with vegetables, herbs and a cup of red wine, these braised short ribs will have your guests salivating.
- 8 beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 celery stalks, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 large onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 large whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Generously season the short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper.
Heat a large heavy-bottom pot (Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Add oil and, once the oil is hot, evenly brown the short ribs on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, tomato paste and garlic to the pot. Stir to combine and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sweat for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are tender and translucent.
Add the short ribs back to the pot and pour in wine and broth. Add the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer on low heat. Cover with a lid and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and easily removed from the bone.
Serve warm garnished with fresh chopped parsley.