Ditch the suds for some savory sips this St. Patrick’s Day by following this recipe for a delicious Tomatillo Green Bloody Mary! Watch the video below to learn how.
Start planning your St. Patrick’s Day party or get-together by sending this FREE Evite invitation below.
- 1 pound tomatillos husked, trimmed, and quartered
- 1/2 pint (about 7 ounces) green or yellow grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumber roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice plus more for mixing the cocktail and for garnish
- 1 Serrano or Thai chile halved and seeded (if desired), plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces vodka
- Fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 3/4 teaspoon green hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 pinch of celery seeds
- Smoked sea salt (optional for garnish)
- Tortilla chips (optional for garnish)
- Candied bacon (optional for garnish)
For the base: combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, the 2 cucumbers, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, 1 Serrano/Thai chile, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender and process until very smooth, at least 30 seconds.
To make the drink: place 2 cilantro sprigs in the bottom of a cocktail shaker and, using a wooden spoon or muddler, tap on the cilantro until it’s muddled. Combine 5 ounces of the base with the vodka, the horseradish, hot sauce, Worcestershire, celery seeds, and juice from the lime wedge in a cocktail shaker. Add ice to fill halfway then stir with a bar spoon until the shaker is cold, about 10 stirs. Pour the drink and ice into a serving glass, garnish with any or all of the garnishes.