- 1 can (6 ounces) organic tomato paste, no sugar added
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use. The barbeque sauce will taste better if you allow it to sit for 24 hours.
Modify the barbeque sauce to make it your own by changing the vinegar, such as to red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. You can also make it as spicy as you like by changing the amount of cayenne pepper. For a fruitier sauce, try stirring in some fruit spread – like blackberry, cherry, or apricot – in place of half of the tomato paste.