Add a little cheese — and a little kick — to your cornbread.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon liquid from a jar of jalapeño slices
- 6 jarred jalapeño slices, cut in half
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and adjust the oven rack into the middle of the oven. Place muffin paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil, egg and jalapeño jar liquid.
Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
Use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop the muffin batter into the muffin liners in the pan.
Top each muffin with half of a sliced jalapeño and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.