Do you want the authentic taste of Mexican Fried Ice Cream without all the pain and hassle that comes with frying? This Cinco de Mayo, try a delicious recipe for no-bake Mexican Fried Ice Cream Cake, that uses inexpensive store-bought pound cake and sweet chocolate ice cream. Watch the video below to learn how to make your own, then read the recipe to get all the ingredients. Need help bringing your party to life? Find party supplies organized by theme in our one-stop Amazon shop.
- 1 frozen pound cake (16 oz)
- 1.75 quart ice cream
- 2 cup heaving whipping cream (16 oz)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cup cornflakes
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (2 oz)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Let frozen pound cake thaw at room temperature for 10 – 15 minutes, then cut into ½” slices.
- Use the bottom of a 9” springform pan to trace a circle on a piece of parchment paper, flip the paper over so the ink is on the bottom. Assemble the pound cake slices on top of the parchment paper such that they cover the area of the circle completely.
- Place the bottom of the springform pan on top of the pound cake and use a knife to cut away the excess. Remove the excess cake.
- Slide the parchment paper with the pound cake and the springform pan bottom onto a cutting board, flip it over so the cake slices now sit on to of the springform pan. Remove the cutting board and parchment paper.
- Place the springform pan side back and place the pound cake in the freezer.
- In the meantime, defrost the ice cream for approximately 20 minutes until soft enough. Take the cake out of the freezer and add the softened ice cream on top of the cake. Use the back of a spoon to create an even layer. Place this back into the freezer.
Make whipped cream:
- Add heavy whipping cream in a stand mixer bowl and stir with the whisk attachment on low speed while sprinkling in the sugar, then stream in the vanilla. Gradually increase mixer speed and beat until stiff peak.
- Take the cake pan out of the freezer and add whipped cream over the ice cream layer. Use a spatula to even out the top. Place this back into the freezer until completely frozen.
Make caramelized cornflakes:
- Add butter to a skillet and melt over medium heat. Add sugar and cinnamon to the melted butter and stir until combined.
- Add cornflake and continue to cook, stirring constantly to coat all of the cornflakes in the sugar mixture and to avoid burning. This should take a couple minutes.
- Turn of the heat and spread the hot cornflakes on a baking sheet to cool and dry.
- To unmold the ice cream cake, thaw for 10 – 15 minutes, then run a small paring knife along the side of the pan to loosen it up. Remove the side of the springform pan.
- Add cooled cornflakes on top of the ice cream cake and cut into slices for serving.