- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 large garlic cloves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 packed cups of flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 packed cups basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
In a food processor, combine the pine nuts, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, parsley, basil, cheese, and salt and pepper. Pulse until well blended.
Turn on the processor to a steady speed and stream in olive oil until smooth, about 1 minute. If your pesto is too thick, you can add more olive oil or water.
Unused pesto can be frozen in ice cube trays or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.