Update a comfort food classic into a snack-sized party food perfect for serving a large group of guests at your St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Made with sauteed vegetables, ground beef, rich gravy, and baked mashed potatoes, Shepherd’s Pie is a fan favorite. Take the best bits of classic Shepherd’s Pie and put on a twist on tradition by creating individual servings of Shepherd’s Pie Potato Skins. Watch the video below to find out how to make your own. Need help bringing your party to life? Find party supplies organized by theme in our one-stop Amazon shop.
Potato Skins and Mashed Potato:
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes, about 7 small-medium sized potatoes
- Olive oil or grapeseed oil, as needed
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to season
- Shredded or grated cheddar cheese, for sprinkling
Shepherd’s Pie Filling:
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup diced onion (1⁄2 medium onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat)
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup each frozen corn, peas, and diced carrots (1 1⁄2 cup total)
- Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub potatoes clean. Pat dry. Pierce each potato 5-6 times with a fork, to allow steam to escape during cooking process. Rub each potato with oil. Bake for 40-50 minutes until potato are tender and can easily be pierced with a paring knife.
- While potato are baking, prepare filling.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool. Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice each potato lengthwise. Be careful, as potatoes will steam.
- Use a spoon to carefully scoop out the insides of potato, leaving about 1⁄4-inch of potato on the skin. Place potato filling in a large bowl and set aside.
Mashed Potato Topping:
- Mash potato filling using a fork or potato masher.
- Mix in butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, place mashed potatoes in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Set aside until ready to assemble.
Shepherd’s Pie Filling:
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Cook for about 3 minutes until almost tender.
- Add in garlic, thyme, and oregano. Stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef. Stir often and cook until beef is well brown. If desired, pour off excess fat.
- Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until beef is well coated.
- Add in chicken broth and frozen vegetables. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until vegetables are warm. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until ready to assemble.
- Brush the potatoes all over with oil. Season with salt.
- Return to 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes baking potatoes cavity side up. Flip potatoes skin side up and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Turn potatoes cavity side up. Fill with Shepherd’s Pie filling mix. Pipe or spoon mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the mashed potatoes start to brown. Serve immediately.
Inspired to plan your party? Send this ad-free and fully customizable Premium Invitation below. Regular party animal? Send unlimited Premium Invitations and cards with our 3-Month and Year Premium Packages.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.