You’ll go nuts for this delectable coffee cake that also works as a dinnertime dessert.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt
For the streusel
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Grease and flour a 10” round cake pan — set aside.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt — set aside.
Combine the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. On medium/high speed, cream the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides with a spatula before adding the eggs.
With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla and sour cream. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides with a spatula before adding the flour.
With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides and stir to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
To make the streusel, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble.
Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the streusel over the top of the batter. Spread the rest of the batter in the pan and add the remaining streusel on the top. Sprinkle the almonds over the top of the streusel.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate.
Garnish with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Serve at room temperature.