- 1/2 cup dry wheat berries, farro, or bulgur
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons salted toasted sunflower seeds, hulled
- Basic Balsamic Vinaigrette
In a small pot, combine the wheat berries, water, herbs, olive oil, and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 25-35 minutes until the wheat berries are tender. Drain and then return them to the pot to steam for 5 -10 minutes. Cool and set aside.
In a medium salad bowl, toss together the cooled wheat berries, spinach, strawberries, goat cheese, and sunflower seeds. Serve with vinaigrette to taste.
You can easily change this salad by choosing a different fruit, cheese, and nut combination. All combinations will taste great with the basic balsamic vinaigrette. Some suggestions:
- Mandarin or clementine orange segments, feta cheese, and toasted pine nuts
- Red grapes, blue cheese, and toasted walnut pieces
- Apple or pear slices (tossed in a little dressing so they don’t turn brown), Parmesan curls, and toasted walnut pieces