Drive away with a nice license and sweet sixteen birthday to celebrate the milestone! Get the tips you need to throw a memorable party.
Start planning your party by sending your friends and family an Evite invitation, like the premium “Sweet Sixteen” invitation below or a free license plate invitation. Check out more birthday invitations in our Birthday Milestones invitation gallery.
Make this sixteenth birthday party extra sweet with a candy theme. Let Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory and the Candyland board game be your inspiration. String gumdrops into garlands, hang lollipops from the ceiling with ribbon, and fill the room with bowls of jellybeans, gumballs and mini chocolates.
You can also celebrate that the birthday babe is of legal driving age with a car-theme party. Decorate with posters of luxury cars and give car-logo keychains as party favors.
A dancing theme works well for co-ed and single-sex parties. A few disco balls, colored light bulbs and a strobe light are all you need to re-create that nightclub vibe. Have the guest of honor and close friends choreograph and perform a special dance during the party.
Costume parties are also a great way to get your friends in on the fun. Some themes we love for a sweet sixteen bash include:
- Mardi Gras Party: beads, elaborate masks and clothes in gold, green and purple
- Princess Party: pink, pink, pink and sparkly accessories
- Old Hollywood Party: black-and-white dressy clothes and dark sunglasses
- Wig Party: the bigger, the better
- Color Party: choose decorations in one or two colors, and ask guests to dress exclusively in the chosen colors
Forget what you see on TV about sweet sixteens. You don’t need a millionaire father, a flashy sports car and a bad attitude to have a good 16th birthday. Make it great all on your own with one of these cool twists:
- Hire a henna tattoo artist
- Book a dance teacher — or ask a friend — to give salsa or hip-hop lessons
- Have a tarot card reader tell fortunes
- Host a singing or dancing contest where guests perform
- Take a limo ride around town
Honor the birthday person’s favorite people with a special candle-lighting ceremony. Before the party, choose the 16 most special people in the birthday person’s life. Keep the candles on the cake unlit, and ask each of the 16 people to come up individually and light one of the candles.
Grown-up versions of party favorites like burgers, pizza and fries hit the right note for this important birthday milestone. You can also serve easy-to-eat foods like skewers or sandwiches.
Even dessert should be more adult than the usual cake and ice cream. Think tiramisu, sophisticated sundaes, raspberry and white chocolate fondue, fruity granitas and chocolate truffles.
Fizzy Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri (serves 6)
- 12 ounces frozen concentrated limeade
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries
- Lemon-lime soda
- Fresh strawberries for garnish
Pour limeade and strawberries into a blender filled with ice cubes. Blend. Pour into chilled glasses; top with a splash of soda. Garnish each with strawberry.