When it comes to writing birthday cards, don’t call it quits after a quick and generic “Happy Birthday.” A little effort goes a long way on their most special day, so make your card fridge-worthy by crafting a personalized note.
Stumped on what to write? We’ve got you covered with these sample messages for every birthday celebrant in your life. Choose your favorite or mix and match for a message that’s sure to make them smile. For bonus points, include a personal anecdote about a time you’ve shared, or tack on a few words of wisdom if they’re reaching a milestone this year.
- Cheers to your next year, and may it bring as much joy to you as you do to all of us!
- Today is your day, and you deserve nothing but the best! I’m so lucky to have you in my life, and I can’t wait to celebrate you.
- Happy birthday! May today and all of your days ahead this year be full of love and joy. Can’t wait to make more memories with you this year.
For a Parent
- Happy birthday to the best parent I could ever ask for. I hope you’re reminded today of how much we all cherish you.
- From teaching me how to ride a bike to killing all the spiders, I’ll never forget how lucky I am to have been raised by my ultimate hero. Happy birthday.
For a Child
- [#] years ago, you came into our lives, and we’re grateful every day for it. Happy birthday to the kindest and silliest kid – we lucked out big time with you.
- There’s nothing more incredible than watching you grow up. You put a smile on my face every day, and now it’s time for all your wildest wishes to come true. I love you, my birthday [girl/boy]!
For a Significant Other
- Happy birthday to my partner in everything. You make every day special for me, but today is all about you. Cheers to many more memorable years together.
- To my favorite human of all time – happy, happy birthday. Thank you for all that you do, and I can’t wait to share every adventure with you this year.
For a Coworker
- Happy birthday, [Name]! You make this such a great place to work, and you definitely deserve your special day off – so please go enjoy! Can’t wait to celebrate you at your happy hour.
- Happy birthday to my work partner-in-crime! You make work feel a lot less like work, and there’s nobody else I’d rather spill the office tea with than you. Have the best day!
Short and Sweet Messages for Group Cards
- Happiest of birthdays to the [funniest, kindest, sweetest] person I know!
- Best birthday wishes to the best person we know!
- Sending lots of love your way today, birthday babe!
- You deserve the best, today and every day. Happy birthday.
Humorous Birthday Messages
- Things that get better with age: wine, cheese, and you. (We’ll see about the last one.) Happy birthday!
- Happy, happy birthday! TBH, you don’t look a single day over Adorable AF.
- Happy have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too day! Hope it’s extra chocolatey for the sweetest party animal in town.
- It’s your birthday and I’ll
cryeat your cake if you want me to.