Wrap up the season the right way with an end-of-summer party! This fun DIY is inspired by a super cute Pool Floaties invitation here on Evite. With just a handful of easy supplies, you can make this playful craft in just a few minutes. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create as many lantern decorations as you’d like!
- Pink paper lanterns in a variety of sizes
- Thick poster board or foam sheets in shades of pink, black, and white
- Wiggly eyes (or, a circle punch and black marker)
- Fast-drying glue, such as hot glue gun
1. Set up your paper lanterns according to your package directions.
2. Sketch out the flamingo head on your choice of pink poster board or foam sheet. Separately, sketch out one flamingo wing on the same material. You can blow up the invitation and print it to use it as a reference if you’d like.
3. Cut out the flamingo parts you traced.
4. Trace the tip of the beak onto black poster board or foam sheet and cut it out.
5. Glue the black beak onto the flamingo “head.”
6. Cut little white strips to finalize the flamingo beak.
7. Glue the white piece onto the wide edge of the black beak tip.
8. Prepare eyes by either gluing on a wiggly eye or using a circle punch to cut a circle out of white foam or poster board. Draw on the pupil with a black marker.
9. Fold the bottom portion of the neck over wired top of the paper lantern, and glue to secure. (I used a hot glue gun because it dries quickly.)
10. Glue the wing into place. Allow time to dry, and get ready to party!
Now, get everyone together for the last bash of summer with your new craft and the matching Premium Invitation that inspired it all:
To watch Evite’s Crafting the Party IGTV series, visit Evite’s Instagram.